Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Alcohol before conception

stephj - Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 pm

My husbandand I usually have a drink or two after work to relax, and we drink on the weekends. We are ready to get pregnant, and, of course, I won't drink while I'm pregnant. I do need to know if it is okay to try to conceive the day after drinking. I have read you should wait 3 months after drinking if you drink regularly!! Is this true, and if it is will sperm defects from alcohol cause birth defects on the baby?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
Pre-conception moderate alcohol use is not considered to be detrimental to the baby. If you were a heavy drinker (as in alcoholic) you would want to give your body time to be clear of alcohol, as well as the addictive problem since you would likely be unable to avoid it during pregnancy unless you mastered going dry first.

Binge drinking is another matter and we do not know what possible long-term effects could be involved with this - even with a single binge episode. So, a huge drinking binge to celebrate the pregnancy would not be a good idea. The drink to relax you when trying to conceive is most likely not going to be a problem.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us