Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Does size matter when trying to conceive a baby?

TERRYKING12345 - Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:12 am

Does size matter when trying to conceive a baby? I would just like to know does the penis have to be at least a certain size for the sperm cells to reach the females egg? I would be very gratful for an answer as i have been trying to get my g/f pregnant for about 8 months and have still not sucseeded. Thankyou.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Size has nothing to do with it. The sperm swim so as long as the penis is inserted into the vagina when you ejaculate, this is all that is necessary. Some fertility specialists advocate having the woman remain still with hips slightly elevated after sex to make the most of gravity and you may want to watch her cycle to time your sexual activity with her most fertile days (day 8 through 19 typically with the 14th day being the most likely time for someone with a regular cycle of around 28 days).

It is not unusual for it to take up to a year to achieve pregnancy, even when actively trying. After a year, they usually recommend getting fertility testing done. You could see a urologist for a sperm count - quite easily done. If that is normal, your partner could also see a gynecologist to see if they see anything unusual with her cycle, etc.

Good luck to you.