Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: bleeding days after a period

Sib - Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:45 am

hi, I had my last period about 8 days ago and on the last day of my period, i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend whom i've been with for 3 years. After sex, i bled a little and i thought it was just the period thing but now i've noticed that im having a few drops of really light blood on my panties and im thinking that i might be pregnant. Could it be so or is it normal? I got a smear test about 5months ago and it came out clean so i was just wondering what could be the cause of the bleeding.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:10 am

User avatar Hello,
If by chance you are pregnant, spotting is not an early indication of such. More likely it is just normal hormonal fluctuation causing it or even some trauma to delicate tissues and capillaries in the vagina. Of course you could be pregnant, having unprotected intercourse during a potentially fertile time, but I would not expect spotting at the time of conception. Post-conception spotting that usually occurs with implantation happens around the time the next period would have occurred had you not conceived that month.

If you believe you might be pregnant, wait until you miss your next period to take a test.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us