Forum Name: Fertility

Question: trying to get pregnant w/ second child

kathyjane - Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:41 pm

I am 33 yaers old w/ a 3 years old child. I have been trying to get pregnant w/ my second for 1 year 3 months w/ no luck i had a misscarraige in oct 2007 . Ihave tried ovulation tests and have done temps for 2 months w/ no luck . How long should i wait before seeking more medical help and do you have any other suggestions? p.s it toke me 1 1/2 years to get prgw/ my first child
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am

It is considered typical to take a year to become pregnant in a fertile woman who is not on birth control and who has regular sexual intercourse. Intervention is not usually recommended until the year has passed. In this case the year would actually start with your miscarriage forward. By age 35 it is recommended that a woman seek testing after six months of trying since her fertility may be diminishing with age. The fact that it took a year and a half for your first pregnancy does imply you may not be ovulating every month, but this is not particularly important. The fact you have conceived twice is very encouraging.

Try not to worry too much about the technicalities of ovulation, enjoy having regular sexual relations with your husband and relaxing like this may actually put your body in a better frame for pregnancy than the stress of worrying, planning, charting and measuring, which could increase your stress hormones and actually interfere. When the body perceives stress and risk, ovulation is suppressed as part of the natural self-preservation of the species.

If you do want to plan for most success, and if you have regular 26 to 32 day periods, you should plan to have sex especially between days 9 and 20 when you start counting with the first day of your period. Most likely you will ovulate somewhere during that time. Some fertility experts recommend having intercourse every other day during the potentially fertile period and feel this is better than daily, but don't stress over it if you want to have sex the next day after you did before. It doesn't matter if you know exactly when you ovulate, there is a range here. You may notice an increase of secretions which could signal ovulation, so be sure to have sex at that time.