Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Too much sexual activity can cause problems?

Tevamp - Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Since it is an established medical fact that during orgasm, prolactin is released, and it is also an established fact that prolactin is responsible for lowering testosterone levels and lowering it's efficiency, that increased sexual activity such as masturbation can inhibit growth or development of masculine characteristics by increasing prolactin, and in turn, decreasing testosterone?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm not an expert on this but I have not seen any documentation to support that theory. I suppose it might depend on your definition of excessive and there can be psychological effects, particularly if it interferes with your daily activities or relationships or if you have a sexual addition. I know of no hormonal detriments specific to this activity.

Some eastern philosophies do prescribe to thoughts that energy is depleted. Each person develops their own ideas about these things and accepts or rejects them according to their belief system.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us