Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Periods are here and there.. Now desperate for Clomid HELP

mila_87 - Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:24 am

K Docs..

Please help on this one as i am SOOOOOO Desperate for a child...
Ive prayed every day and night for this miracle to occur but still ..??!!...
Soo... ive been with my partner for 3yrs now, both 21yrs normal weight, active and do 'it' more than regularly.
For 1st Yr & 2mths was on the pill.... then went off it as we decided to try for our first child.
About July last year, i did not get my periods from then until end of December (= 5months no periods!!). Btwn then had everything checked up ie: blood test, preg tests, pelvic ultrasound EVERYTHING!!!. and Drs all told me they would come back, sometimes it happens. When my periods finished in Jan of this yr, i thought they would go back to normal flow but dint until 2weeks ago(-2months later).
Im now back on the pill to see if i can regulate it so i can calculate my ovulation correctly cos the docs said that even if i dint get my periods, i could still pregnant, only prob is..is that you don't know when your ovulation period is!!!.. (and i don't want to be on the pill!!!!!)
This whole thing with my body working against me is really taking its toll on me.. i am so desperate for this child... and its for this reason...I want to try CLOMID.

How does CLOMID work?. What does it do??. and can it help ME?????...

Have you ever heard of any of this happening before??..

Anxious and grateful for ur time.. oxo
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Even though you are very anxious for a child, patience is what is called for here. Your body may regulate itself hormonally if you give it a while to do so. That is why your doctor has prescribed the pill. Give it time to do its thing, then you may find a return to ovulation. If not, clomid may be something your doctor will be willing to try but it is not without risk since multiples occur more frequently and with this come serious health concerns and the very real risk of a preterm delivery and sick baby.

The clomid stimulates ovulation in a woman who is not ovulating every month. But, it can stimulate more than one follicle - hence, increased risk of multiples. This medication should only be used exactly as prescribed and only for the period the doctor advises. This is very important should they decide you are a candidate for this treatment.

I assume the doctor has checked you for PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) but another condition that sometimes interferes with periods is endometriosis. This can be more difficult to diagnose.

Meanwhile, try to work on other ways to prepare for being a parent. Take vitamins daily, make sure you eliminate any bad and unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking, drugs. Use a seatbelt every time you are in the car, eat a healthy diet (learn to like vegetables if you don't already), lose any excess weight you may have and exercise. This can also help you to regulate your blood glucose which can also interfere with ovulation.

Plan financially to get ready for the extra costs involved in having a baby, paying medical bills and preparing for college. Try to enjoy the time you have together as a couple that you will not have again for many year once the baby comes. Enjoy the time, rather than being miserable because you want to be in a different place right now. Also, relish the ability to sleep all night and sleep in in the morning. This is a temporary condition. If you or your husband could benefit from additional education for job improvement, this would be a good time to focus on that. All this will help you to be psychologically, physically and financially prepared for parenthood.

Many couples do have to wait a while but find the reward is worth it when they finally do get their child.

Good luck