Question: Testosterone Levels and Libido

pixidust26 - Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:53 pm

My fiance has a low sex drive. He is 33 years old and generally healthy. He had his testosterone levels tested. His total serum testosterone level was at 452 ng/dL, SHBG was at 30 nmol/L, and his free testosterone was at 89 pg/mL -- also expressed as 2%. ARUP laboratories considers these numbers to be in a normal range, but they seem on the low end. Are these measurements at levels where one could expect sex drive to be affected?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:35 pm

Lab values are important in relationship to their specific, provided range stated on the report, and normal is a broad range (likely somewhere between 300 and 1100 ng/dl). It will also vary with the time of day the specimen was collected (higher in the early morning hours; lower as they day goes on).

This does not sound like a low level to me and definitely in the acceptable range . If the lab indicated his testosterone was in the normal range, I would not worry about it too much unless he has other symptoms. Lab determination is a complex process and hopefully his doctor can better explain the relationships between the free and bound testosterone. This is outside my area of expertise.

In addition to low sex drive, other symptoms of low testosterone levels include lowered sperm count, hot flashes, fatigue, trouble concentrating and depression.

There are many factors that make up libido and medications, depression, relationships, etc. can affect it. I hope he doesn't judge himself by the media representation of sex drive. This can be grossly misrepresented.

Best wishes to you both.