Forum Name: Fertility

Question: How fast can chlamydia cause complications?

varinavee - Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:52 am

I had chlamydia for two-four months when I was 16 and I am now 20. It was treated with one pill in the doctors office, but nothing much was mentioned about the effects of having chlamydia for a time period. I was wondering what the chances are of having PID or infertility due to chlamydia after having it untreated for the length of time I had it - two to four months.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:16 pm

This does not sound like a long time to be untreated and I would not expect long-term complications but there is no way to say for sure without extensive testing as might be done if you find yourself dealing with infertility. The main concern is could there be scarring of the fallopian tubes as a result of the infection, left untreated. But since it was only a couple of months chances are good it did not develop into a full-blown infection to cause such damage.

candygirl_84 - Fri May 08, 2009 1:52 pm

what are the signs of chlamydia?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Clamydia is sometimes called "silent" because many people have no symptoms.

Others have lower abdominal pain, low back pain, nausea, fever, pain during intercourse, or bleeding between menstrual periods.

The best way to find out is just to have a screening for sexually transmitted infections.