Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: How fast can chlamydia cause complications?

 varinavee - Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:52 am

I had chlamydia for two-four months when I was 16 and I am now 20. It was treated with one pill in the doctors office, but nothing much was mentioned about the effects of having chlamydia for a time period. I was wondering what the chances are of having PID or infertility due to chlamydia after having it untreated for the length of time I had it - two to four months.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:16 pm

User avatar Hello,
This does not sound like a long time to be untreated and I would not expect long-term complications but there is no way to say for sure without extensive testing as might be done if you find yourself dealing with infertility. The main concern is could there be scarring of the fallopian tubes as a result of the infection, left untreated. But since it was only a couple of months chances are good it did not develop into a full-blown infection to cause such damage.

Best wishes.
 candygirl_84 - Fri May 08, 2009 1:52 pm

what are the signs of chlamydia?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
Clamydia is sometimes called "silent" because many people have no symptoms.

Others have lower abdominal pain, low back pain, nausea, fever, pain during intercourse, or bleeding between menstrual periods.

The best way to find out is just to have a screening for sexually transmitted infections.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us