Question: Concern with Penis (Itching, Red Reash, Smegma)

afiguy_2 - Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Hey Doc!

I'm a normal 23 year old guy. I enjoy sex with my Girlfriend and masturbating. Around 5 months ago, I had unprotected sex with a girl. Was a very stupid mistake. I am recently having some concerns with my penis head. I'm generally a very clean person, I wash my penis every morning in the shower. During the day I’m fine but later on sometimes I get a slight itch, or twitching just under my foreskin. When I pull back my foreskin, the head of my penis usually appears to be moist. Could this be dis-charge? It doesn't smell too appealing. I've not noticed any other signs that it could be. It also appears to be slightly red on the underside once the foreskin has been pulled back, is this whats causing the itching? The head of my penis, around the edge appears to be a deep bluey-purple colour, now I’m not really sure if that’s common or anything to do with my problem. 1 more thing, if I either forget, or leave my penis and don't clean it for over a day, I seem to get a white tissue like substance behind my foreskin, I have recently discovered this is smegma. I'm always a bit cautious with my new girlfriend now when she goes down to give me a blowjob, I don't want her getting a mouthful of that!

Any advice given to what this is will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:19 am

You may have a yeast infection that can be easily treated with over-the-counter antifungal creams applied twice daily for a week. This can cause itching, increased white discharge and soreness.

Of course we always must be concerned about sexually transmitted infections when having sex with someone whose history we don't know so having yourself screened for such potential problems would be wise. Some of these infections are rampant so don't be too quick to rule out the possibility.

If it is just the normal smegma that you are noticing, daily cleaning is the solution. Just basic washing with the foreskin pulled back is all that is needed.