Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Spreading Herpes

Shanxo - Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:25 pm

my fiance and i both have herpes type 1, where we occasionally get a cold sore when we are sick or in the winter. he had a blister on his lip and gave me oral sex, and now i have some kind of lesion on my vagina that is very itchy and painful when it is touched. i know i have to see a doctor to properly diagnose it, but my question is, is it possible that he could of gave me genital herpes from his herpes 1 blister? thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:24 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes it is possible. Type 1 Herpes can be genital, though Type 2 is more typical. Oral sex is exactly the way it is typically spread when going from oral to genital areas.

Best wishes.
 Sally123 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm

My friend had licked a cup to catch a spill, and I licked it too. I jokingly asked "Do you have herpes?" and he said yes. That was April 16. Now it is the 21, and for the past two or three days including today, I have had one canker sore on my clitoral hood.

If he was serious, could it really be herpes? (I get canker sores as PMS)
If he wasn't serious, what else could it be? I am a virgin.

One that I have considered is that during shaving, I might have nicked it and this is it "healing".

HELP!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
If you did not have oral sex where the herpes might have spread from the mouth to the genitals or genital herpes from his genitals to yours with sexual activity, you would not have acquired infection from his oral herpes. It could be a shaving injury or perhaps follicle infection. I expect it will probably heal on its own. If not, you would have to ask a doctor to examine it.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us