Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Effect of Many Uterine Polyps on Health/Fertility

BellaB - Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:22 am

HI,
I recently had 9 polyps removed from my uterus. I was wondering if this is a large number of polyps (it seems it is to me!!) and if it is, will this have an effect on my future health? Should I be concerned that I may also have polyps growing else where such as my colon? Also, will it increase my chances of endometrial cancer? Finally, will it have an effect on my fertility. My husband and I have been trying for a year- I was also diagnosed with mild endo which was removed. I am hopeful that this could be what was preventing us from conceiving- do you think I have a hopeful chance now? Should I be concerned about them returning in the future?
Thanks so much!
Also-I'm 30 years old, at the age of 22 I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I had my entire thyroid removed and three years of iodine radiation. I'm not sure if this is need info in regards to the polyps/fertility/cancer/etc.
THANK YOU!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:38 am

A history of uterine polyps is one of several factors that increase your risk of endometrial cancer, especially after the age of 50. Keep in mind though that these polyps are very common and most women do not develop cancer later.

Having had the polyps removed improves your chances for achieving pregnancy and, though there is a chance of some scarring which could interfere with implantation I would not expect this to be a big risk, having removed nine polyps (these are usually quite small). The surface area available for implantation should still be adequate.

Polyps can occur again in the future but it is uncommon, so try not to worry too much about this. Your thyroid treatment should not affect your pregnancy as long as you are checked periodically as your medication may need adjustment during your pregnancy.

Good luck with your efforts to conceive and bear a child.