Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: painful intercourse

tulip18 - Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:11 am

I am 18 and sexually active. In july i got a yeast infection and since im in germany only got a wash for it. i am not sure if it ever really went away. Since july sex has been really painful for me. The vaginal canal is the only part affected by pain. i was wondering what all causes pain there.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:37 am

User avatar Hello:
Yeast infections cannot be cured by using a wash or douche. The problem with yeast infections is that they tend to reoccur. The reason for this is usually because the persons sex partner reinfects the person. That is why it is important for both partners to be treated at the same time. Males usually do not have symptoms but they can reinfect their female partners after treatment because they still have the yeast fungi on them. I believe there are now over the counter medications for yeast infections. If these do not work, you need to see your doctor so he can prescribe a stronger medication for you. The reason you have pain in the vagina is that the yeast fungi irritates the tissues of the vagina, causing redness, inflammation, itching and sometimes bleeding.
Regards,
Carolyn