Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: painful intercourse

 tulip18 - Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:11 am

I am 18 and sexually active. In july i got a yeast infection and since im in germany only got a wash for it. i am not sure if it ever really went away. Since july sex has been really painful for me. The vaginal canal is the only part affected by pain. i was wondering what all causes pain there.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:37 am

User avatar Hello:
Yeast infections cannot be cured by using a wash or douche. The problem with yeast infections is that they tend to reoccur. The reason for this is usually because the persons sex partner reinfects the person. That is why it is important for both partners to be treated at the same time. Males usually do not have symptoms but they can reinfect their female partners after treatment because they still have the yeast fungi on them. I believe there are now over the counter medications for yeast infections. If these do not work, you need to see your doctor so he can prescribe a stronger medication for you. The reason you have pain in the vagina is that the yeast fungi irritates the tissues of the vagina, causing redness, inflammation, itching and sometimes bleeding.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us