Question: epididymus cyst problems

wasley81 - Tue May 20, 2008 11:02 am

Hi I'm unlucky.
I've lost one testical to a torsion and i have
a cyst on the epididymis which gives me so much pain it stops me from doing loads.and makes things hard top have sex

Am I at greater risk of cancer with this cyst..that would just top my luck off.
has anyone had one removed and if so what are the complications.
I don't know what to do I can live with this pain but don't want to end up with no balls

Dose anyone know what would happen if you don't have any??can you still come in anyway?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:55 am

User avatar Hello wasley81 -

While it's easy to understand your concern about this new problem, given your history, this needs attention. It isn't likely to get better on its own, and would likely improve quickly with proper treatment.

How are you certain you have a cyst, by the way? Has this already been confirmed by a doctor? People do get these sometimes, and they are either successfully treated most times or sometimes removed. Without knowing what exactly is going on it's impossible to calculate the odds of any predisposition to cancer, but there is also no reason to assume there is any risk if you find out what this thing actually is and have it treated or removed. Of course removal could well mean loss of the epidiymis as well, which with your situation could possible render you sterile.

As for the ability to ejaculate with no testicles (and please don't assume you'll wind up that way, you just need to have the immediate problem treated), yes, it is still possible so long as the prostate is intact, as that gland is the source of semen. You would, however, need testosterone supplements if you lost the remaining testicle (and again, this is just a hypothetical situation, since there's no reason to think that will happen).

Get yourself examined soon before the problem gets worse. Hopefully by now you have. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck to you.
 wasley81 - Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:49 am

Hi Thanks for reply,

This has been going on for some time now. maybe about 7 years.
When I 1st got the pain, every time I went to the doctors I was just given antibiotics as they just thought I has a infection of the epididymus.

I had a scan about a year after i got this pain, it was confirmed to be a cyst.

I have been back to my GPs every time I have had unbearable pain, i even went to the hospital and was just give another lot of antibiotics.

Some time its fine...it has been fine since my last mail, but it just keeps flaring up every now and again.
Its so sensitive if it gets knocked at all i'll have pain for about a week after.
I know the pain will go away but i now know the pain will always come back.

One GP said to me i should just leave it alone and put up with the pain.
I could just about put up with it...if there was no risks at leaving it there.
But i have read a few stories and i'm pretty worried about having cancer in later life..or the fact that it might get infected and cause me to loose this one tooo.
if i did get a cancer lump i'll probably not know about till its too late.

What are my options from here and do you suggest coz i don't seem to get much help from my GPs

thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:41 pm

The consensus among urologists and genitourinary specialists is that this sort of thing is best left alone if possible. I've gotten that answer from several rather prominent specialists now. They'd rather allow it to run its course and get better on its own. Of course if the pain becomes severe and constant (instead of transient) it may require treatment and there are things that can be done, including, of course, removal or destruction of the cyst, but there is then a great risk of loss of function of the epididymis. If this is not a concern for you (the risk of sterility), then it would be an option to consider in the future. The risk of cancer with this problem is statistically non-existent, apparently, so the main concerns are dealing with the pain and the concerns regarding sterility.

Hope this helps.
 wasley81 - Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks for your help again.

I'm currently having a another bolt of pain that seems not to be going away.

I've had it really bad now for about 5 weeks non stop.

Just wondering if you might know any reasons for this to flair up for so long.
The problem can flare up for a few hours and sometime a day.
Every now an again I have a really bad bolt of pain and slight swelling that seems to last sometime a few months...no doult if i see it through it will become manageable again, but at the moment its driving me mad.
The risk of infertility is a big worry for me, but also having to put up with this pain.
I know having a lot of sex seems to make this worst ...which is no good really.
I'm really a bot unsure of what to do.
Maybe another scan might reveal if the cyst has got much bigger.
I was kinda hoping this would just get better, but its no better then when it 1st started...if not worst.
is there anything i can try, take apart from pain killers or anti inflamatries?

Thanks for your help.

A
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:28 pm

User avatar Hello again -

A second scan might be in order, since the problem does seem to not be getting better on its own. While most of them do, I guess "most" is not the same as all. The frequent severe pain and discomfort for so long really does deserve some sort of intervention. I don't know why this is happening, but the area is so sensitive and innervated that anything out of bounds there is bound to cause a good deal of pain, and the most likely cause would be an increase in the size of the cyst. If, indeed, it has grown instead of shrinking, then surgery would probably be your best option. There's not much else you can do to ease the pain, as far as I know, unless your doctor were to choose to prescribe opioid pain meds, but this would only be putting a band-aid on the problem.

A new scan seems your best bet at this point. Let us know, please, how this goes.