Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Abnormally Leaking semen

 Jupi - Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Ok, no matter how much I want to deny it and would like to think that I am perfectly normal, I am facing this fact. When I go to the bathroom, I notice that I leak a little bit of semen after I am done. I am having a very hard time explaining it. I know that I strain harder than I used to because I feel not being finished quickly, could that be a reason? Hearing a lot about prostate cancer, I am worried. Can it be a sign of prostate cancer or other major disorder? If not, what is it? Less frequent sexual activity, bad diet, lack of enough exercise? I am waiting for the right time to get checked out, but in the mean time, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:47 am

User avatar Hello Jupi -

First we must be certain what you're seeing is semen. It may look like it (and it may well be semen) but how do we know this for certain? This is a fairly unusual symptom, and could be due to an enlarged prostate or prostatitis, but if it were the latter you would certainly have other complaints as well and feel quite ill.

I'm wondering if this might not be something else, perhaps the product of a urinary tract infection. It's difficult to say, and I'm not sure what you mean about "the right time" to get it checked, but it would seem now is the right time, since you have something odd going on and it shouldn't be left to chance.

This is the best I can do with the limited information, but see a doctor soon to be sure you don't have an infection somewhere in the genitourinary system. You don't want that to continue to get worse and cause irreversible damage.

Hope by now you've found out what the problem is (if there is one) and have it managed. Please let us know what you learn.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us