Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: cant pull foreskin back

clubuk - Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:29 pm

for my entire life i have been unable to pull back my foreskin.

i have had sexual intercourse and am able to masterbate but due to very small hole i can not pull foreskin back.

i have read on the internet about stretching, is this possible or do i need surgery

male, 24, uk
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 pm

User avatar Hi Clubuk,

This condition is known as phimosis. In itself it is not particularly a problem; however, we generally recommend it be treated because the skin, if pulled back, could become trapped cutting off blood supply to the tip of the penis. In addition, the inability to retract the foreskin does not allow for proper hygiene of the area increasing the risk of infections.

The surgical cure for this is circumcision. There is a medical treatment that I have used for some of my patients with success. It involves using a very high potency steroid cream applied to the tip of the foreskin twice a day for about 4 weeks. This takes advantage of one of the side effects of steroid creams, which is thinning of the skin. While doing this, the foreskin is gently pulled back while cleaning to give some pressure and encourage stretching of the skin. It is important not to pull the skin all the way behind the head of the penis while doing this to avoid it becoming trapped. This process can often be successful and prevent the need for circumcision.

The creams are available by prescription and I would recommend this process be supervised by a physician so I would recommend discussing the options with your primary care doctor.

Best wishes.
 aarav - Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:34 am

Hi im Aarav,

I have the same problem ... but i would like to know

What is the name of the potency steroid cream ?
is there risk of infection ?
do i need to wipe the cream clean after apply it ?
will the sking become normal after applying it for 4 weeks ( after the thinning side effect, will it return back to its thikness, while the whole infront has increased in size )

Thank yo very much for your help
 andypooh2007 - Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:22 pm

i thought i had the same problem till i started puuling it back. iv only pulled back twice and ive noticed some yellow stuff where the head meets. i don't know if this is a infection or just needs to be cleaned? but its all over that area. please help
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:31 pm

User avatar Hello,

These high potency creams are available by prescription and are best used under the guidance of a physician. I purposely don't give out a name because some may try to purchase the cream on their own and use it without medical supervision. This can be dangerous so please don't be offended that I am not directly answering your question. I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation and to discuss if this type of treatment may be appropriate for your particular situation.

Andypooh2007, often there is debris that forms under the foreskin between it and the glans (the head of the penis). This debris is normal. The area should be gently cleaned routinely to help prevent irritation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us