Question: One testicle is swollen, stomach hurts.

briggsie2006 - Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 am

Hey, I am a 20 year old. Several days ago, I woke up with the worst pain of my life. My right testicle was swollen and still is. It isn't as tender as the first day, but it still hurts. My stomach also hurts. And because of the way I have had to walk my back is starting to hurt. When I was younger, I also had to have surgery because one of my testicles had to be relocated from right below my stomach to the scrotum. I have read that the procedure just mentioned increases the risk for cancer is increased. Do you think it is a hernia something else? Will it need to be treated or will it fix itself? Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Whatever is going on, please don't count on it to correct itself. While it may not be anything serious, it certainly does warrant an exam by a physician (preferably a urologist). And while undescended testicle does carry a slightly greater statistical risk of cancer later in life, this is a pretty small likelihood. However, there are also other risks associated with this (things that occur in the general population as well, but not as often), including testicular torsion, where the testicle becomes turned, which kinks the epididymis. This can be quite painful and the pain often can be referred up into the lower abdomen. Torsion problems can sometimes be corrected by manual manipulation, but often eventually have to be corrected via very minor surgery. The alternative is potential sterility on the affected side and, on occasion, interruption of the blood supply, with more serious complications to the testicle.

All in all, not worth waiting for it to just go away. By all means bring this to the attention of a doctor ASAP, and follow up with us here as well.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:27 am

User avatar I hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated.