Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Abdominal cramping starts a week before period is due

Morwong - Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:55 am

Hello, I am new to this forum so I will introduce myself. I am 32 years old and my husband and I have started trying for a baby in February 2008. So far we have been unsuccessful. My period never used to be really painful I usually just got some abdominal cramping the day before it would start. However, something has changed dramatically in the last 3 months. Now, my period pain starts around 5 days before and increases from day to day. This is accompanied by frequent urination and back pain. It can get so bad that I will wake up in the middle of the night and then cannot get back to sleep. These symptoms start to lessen once the period starts and are almost over 2 days into my period. I also have little clots in the blood. I had an ultrasound because of this last month but the doctor found nothing abnormal. I also had my hormones checked and again, everything looks normal. While I am really happy that everything looks normal, I am feeling rather distressed about this sudden change in my monthly cycle and I do think that it requires an explanation. For example, do you think that there could be a connection between me trying to get pregnant and this sudden increase in pain? Do you think that I might have an infection? And ultimately, what do you think is causing the pain to start 5 days before my period is due? Is there something that I can look out for that might clarify the underlying cause of this? I will book anther appointment with my doctor on Monday but I would appreciate any input here because I am feeling a bit scared about this all.
Thank you, Morwong
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:39 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm glad you have consulted with a doctor about this because it's the only way you can be sure you don't have an infection or something else causing your pain. Since the doctor sees nothing unusual this can give you peace of mind but you could have some endometriosis or cysts causing pain that has not been evident on exam. It does not mean you will not conceive so keep trying in the meantime. Cramping can be normal and these things change with hormones throughout the reproductive period of a woman's life.

Good luck in your efforts.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us