Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Painful cramping and basal body temperature

jos2lan - Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi, I will be 37 in Oct. I was treated for an ectopic in Jan 08. everything turned out fine. My periods have not been normal since, spotting in between periods . I've been trying to get pregnant since April and haven't been successful. I've also started to have abdominal pain 1-2 wks before I start ( which I never had before) and then it starts to subside when I start my period and 1- 2 days into it. I went to my obgyn to discuss the irregular periods and why I haven't gotten pregnant yet and find out if there is a problem. She had me start taking my temp in the morning for 2 mo. for ovulation. I'm almost done my 2nd month and she also had my blood drawn for thyroid, FSH and prolactin. The thyroid is fine since i'm on meds for that but the other 2, according to the Nurse, said they read a little high. I don't know what the numbers where and my doctor hadn't read them yet since she had been out of the office and the nurse said she will let me know what my next step will be when the doctors has a chance to look at it closely. I've had 3 successful pregnancies which I got pregnant the 1st time on each of them, my youngest being 3 yrs old. and 1miscarriage/ectopic in Jan which took 3mo. (which doesn't seem long to try) but long for me it was. I'm worried about the abdominal pain because is gets very painful and the spotting and also why is it taking so long? I know that my temperature, from what I have been reading, doesn't look right. They are very up and down for example 1 day it will be 97.2 and the next it could be 96.6. Also both months on the the 15th day i've had a fever but felt fine (99.8) but then the next day it's 98.1. I'm confused and can this be an easy fix such as a prescription so that I can get pregnant? I don't want to waste anymore time since I am going to be 37. If you have any advise or something to put my mind at ease that would be great. Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:45 pm

I'm sorry about your miscarriage and the frustration you are encountering.

You say this has been a long time you have been trying to become pregnant (and you mentioned your last one took three months which was a long time for you). The key here is "for you." You are definitely in the normal range for it to take a while to become pregnant. It is actually quite unusual to get pregnant on one's first attempt so you might consider that you were actually quite lucky on the others. But, of course you are wise to have this evaluated by your gynecologist, as you are doing, because of your desire to increase your family and the biological clock is ticking. You are still in a very safe range for pregnancy but this alone can be the cause for it to take a little longer. You may have some hormonal fluctuation that you didn't have in the past. Hormones change as we age and this affects your periods.

The reason you need to consult with your doctor about the temperature readings and labs is because this is just one part of the whole picture and your doctor has details of which we cannot be aware. With your doctor's help you will likely conceive but it may take a while for this to happen. First she is gathering information, patterns, blood results to be sure everything is functioning properly. Treatment comes after the data is in and evaluated. There are ovulation stimulating medications but these are not without side effects and serious risks - mostly resulting from the high rate of multiples with their associated problems including premature birth. There is no magic pill for you to get pregnant - it's mostly the old fashioned way with patience, regular sexual intercourse and allowing nature to take its course. But, of course if something is truly standing in your way, the work your doctor is doing will most likely bring it to light so if intervention is needed you can get it. These days there are methods that can help but these are only used after it is determined they are indicated.

Stay with your doctor on this and take the time needed to get your questions answered by her. Good luck.

Best wishes to you in this effort.