Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Lump behind foreskin Only when erect?

 Quarrel - Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:34 pm

I have had a good search through your site and can't find anything relating to a problem relevant to my situation,
So maybe you can help ease my mind before I bite the bullet and go down the doctors with it.

I have a lump which appears beneath the foreskin of my penis and it seems to be situated over an artery, when my penis is in its Flaccid state this lump isn't noticeable, I can't even feel anything present when I venture the area of its origin, when I become erect this lump is clearly visible and causes minor discomfort, it has not increased in size over the time I have been aware of it. I am concerned that this is a weak spot like you would find on a worn ballon and any aggressive sexual activity will weaken it further.

I am especially embarrassed about going to the doctors for this due to the reason that it is only visible when I am erect.

Please put my mind at rest here and tell me you have an idea what his may be.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:31 am

User avatar Hello,What you mention may be a mild thrombophlebitis of the vein on top of the penis.This can show up as a thick,longish swelling more felt on erection.Known as mondors disease,it is not a serious problem,and may be related to friction.It would not be a bad idea to get an ultrasound just to be sure.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us