Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Undescended testicle

 gotaknow - Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:40 am

I have question concerning my left testicle. I've always had a small tight scrotum. Tight for alot of the time. There are times when it is relaxed and loose. Which feels much better. Of course that is when it is very warm out. My problem is my left testicle is almost always either in what you call in the prescrotal area. Or almost equal time it is like popped up in me. I think that is the inguinal. I also want to say when I went through puberty I never developed in penis size or scrotum and testicle size like my male counterparts did. It is usually in the inguinal area then my scrotum is very tight and squeezing my testicles. I've consulted a physician before about this but they say I am just hung high. A very common problem. First of all is this a very common problem. Second of all should I just accept that I am hung high? I know it increases the chance of testicular cancer.
It is very uncomfortable when it is, how you say popped up inside me. From my description do you think there would be any hormonal treatment that could possibly force the testicle to descend in to the scrotum like is should be thus being much more comfortable to me. Plus is there any drug or hormone that may increase the size of my testicles and penis.
I know that is alot of information but it may not be enough. Please respond and if more info is needed I will be happy to give it to you. Thank you very much!
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:27 pm

User avatar Hi!

Was it a urologist that you had seen for your problem?

 gotaknow - Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:40 pm

Thank you for responding to my questions Doctor. Yes I'm quite certain it was a urologist I seen as a young man I was probably between 11 and 14. They didn't do anything to help me. Now as a 38 yr. old. I would like to get this taken care of if at all possible. I'm tired of it being like it is,and my left testicle always like 95% of the time popping up inside me. Do you think if I can get back in to see a urologist that something might be able to be done. Like testosterone replacement therapy or whatever you can tell me. I really appreciate your advice. Thank you
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:44 am

User avatar Hi!

It is my understanding that what you are suffering from could most probably be retractile testis, which, unlike undescended testis, produces sperms and testosterone normally. Undescended testis is fixed high up, while retractile ones go up and come down depending on the actions of the scrotum. Rarely after puberty do retractile testis need treatment. But in your case, it would be best to consult your urologist regarding a solution. I am not aware of testosterone in the treatment of retractile testis, but in pediatric patients retractile testis do respond to treatment with the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin. As I said, it is best to consult your urologist.

 gotaknow - Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:11 am

Thank You Doctor! That sounds like exactly what I have. I will see my personal physician and ask him about it and see if he can refer me to a urologist about this problem. I truly appreciate your advice. Technology like the internet and physicians like yourself and the other ones on here really help folks like myself. Keep up the excellent work. If I have any other issues that I'm not sure about I will be sure and ask a question on here. Again Thank you!!!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us