Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: unusual bleeding and spotting

xxrhiannaxx - Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:05 am

My period was supposed to start on or around the 18th of august. about 4 days before, I started spotting, then a week later i bled , but not a usual period flow. It was very light. after 4 days of a light blood flow, i started spotting again, and I've been spotting ever since. now almost everytime i have sex with my husband, I bleed a little. The last time we had sex I bled considerably more than usual. but only after we have sex. the next morning I'm back to normal to almost no spotting. Can you tell me what might be happening?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:45 pm

User avatar Hello,
This could be related to a number of things. Hormonal fluctuation, birth control pills, infection, cyst, cervical abnormality are a few possible causes. Your doctor would need to examine you to find out what might be causing this. It is important for women to have an annual pelvic exam so if you haven't done so in a while it would be a good time to schedule a visit.

Best wishes
 JustXWondering123 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 pm

hi my name is amanda, and i also have a question close to this, i am not supposed to have my period for another ten days but i started bleeding suddenly tonight, i am always regular and this is unusual, my husband and i are trying to have a baby, and i was told since this is eight days after i ovulated that i could be having implantation bleeding but it is a medium red color not light pink like i heard it was supposed to be, i also had a couple blood clots, is this implantation bleeding or could it even be a misscarriage, i don't know much about this please help, thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm afraid you will need to watch and see. There is no "rule" or definition for implantation bleeding. Some women describe it as what seems like a regular period, only perhaps shorter in duration. Others describe a much lighter bleeding. Because of the wide variation (most women don't actually experience anything), all you can do is wait. If you miss a period, take a home test.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us