Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Sharp pain on lower left abdomen

chic_mummy - Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:53 am

Heloo

I've been experiencing a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. It triggers most when there is any movement made. Is there anything serious?

Another thing is I am currently on IUCD for the past 3yrs past. IUCD is great and me have no problem with it. The only thing is that my hubby always complaint that he can feel the "metal thing" when we have sex. However, i just ignored his comments. However, recently, he feedback that the "metal thing' feeling is no longer there. Could it be that the IUCD has moved cause our sex activity seem to have increased its vigorousity. Could my pain due to the misplacement of the IUCD position?

Someone....please help cos I really need some kind of help or advice before I go and see my gynae/GP.

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:31 am

Can you detect the string? If not, you can have your doctor check for you. Perhaps it has moved up a bit. I'm glad it's not bothering your husband anymore but your peace of mind might be restored if you have this checked.

As for the pain, there are many organs in the abdomen so it is impossible to say if it is serious or not. This might be another good reason to see your doctor. He can examine your ovaries to see if there are cysts and he might be able to determine the source of the pain. Don't be alarmed if he/she can't because sometimes there is no obvious cause and your body may just be fighting some kind of infection or experiencing some intestinal trouble.

chic_mummy - Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:51 am

Hi Debbie

Thank you for the reply. Seriously, neither my husband nor me can feel any thread. I am not so sure if the IUCD has move up too. Even if it has will it cause me any pain or side effects?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 pm

User avatar You could have pain if you have a perforation but if it just shifted a bit you probably would not. The strings can be "sucked up" in to where you can't feel them but because that's the only reliable method you have to be certain the IUD is in place, it is important to have it checked if you don't feel them. Some women have reported that it is easier to locate them at the end of your period - perhaps because of cervical changes that occur around this time.