Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: my new g/f has panic attacks during sex

silverws602 - Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:51 am

She told me this prior to us having any sexual contact, but I really wasn't sure what to expect. Last night was our first night being intimate together and twice she had a panic attack. From what I could gather she seemed to have them when she was very excited and close to orgasm. The first one occurred during foreplay, and the second right after sex when I was helping finish her off.

Basically both attacks lasted around 7-10 minutes. She turns away from me, curls up into the fetal position, and would barely talk or move. I tried to be comforting and reassure her I was not mad and or upset and not to worry. I figured maybe she was embarrassed... but to no avail. I never felt so helpless in my life.

Is there anything I can do to help? Maybe not go as fast/hard? Is there any sort of treatment that can help her? Also, she told me that she believes that these may be caused because she used to be morman, which looks down on sex before marriage, and deep down perhaps she still feels a bit guilty. I do not know how much to weigh that in the issue though.

Thank you for your time and help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:40 pm

User avatar Hello,
Chances are she has some kind of traumatic episode in her past, perhaps something of which she is not even aware. It is doubtful it is a religious issue alone as many people have this belief system regarding premarital sex and panic attacks are not a consistent and common problem there. Feelings of guilt alone rarely would lead to a panic attack.

She could have PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) if there is some abuse in her perhaps buried past. It would be prudent for her to see a counselor she could trust (probably female) to help her work through this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us