Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: possible condom allergy

confuzzled17 - Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:22 pm

i am 17 years old, me and my bf have been having sex for about 2 years. every time we have sex it burns about 5 min after we start. it only burns a few inches inside my vagina. i am worried i am allergic to the condoms. but, wouldnt i have noticed sooner then this. at first i thought it was just because of friction. we have tried to use KY this only makes it worse to the point i have to stop and take a shower. other brands work for a short period of time but intercourse always ends up burning me. i need help we are both getting frestrated and im worried it could be something worse then just an allergy.
please help me!!!!!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:39 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like it could be a mild latex allergy and if so, it is important that you stop using latex as these allergies tend to get worse with repeated exposures. You can do a test by switching to a non-latex variety. These are not quite as reliable as latex but if you find you don't react you can be pretty confident that latex is the culprit.

If you still have symptoms you should see a doctor to determine whether or not there are other lesions or causes for the discomfort.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us