Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: can i be pregnant with a irregular period

wsm2007 - Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Hello, I am 19yrs old and trying to have a baby. i have been having irregular periods forever they come ones a year. i had sex with my boyfriend and now i am bleeding but it is light blood. i have been having heahaches and been feeling dizzy.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 pm

User avatar Hello,
Most women have irregular periods, though some eventually even out to be quite regular after a number of years. At your age, this is quite normal for sure. It is possible to become pregnant, it is just harder to predict when you ovulate. Keep in mind that even in a person with regular periods, ovulation can occur any time over a number of days so the usual procedure for becoming pregnant is having regular sexual intercourse without worrying excessively over the exact date.

If you don't desire pregnancy, it is imperative for you to get on some reliable form of birth control because you never know when you might be at risk. I hope you will be prepared physically, emotionally and financially when you take that step.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us