Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: bleeding after sex

ANXIOUSMOM - Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 am

we don't do it often once every few months. hubby n i did have sex and i bled after. i also needed to pee a lot and i have stayed up all night panicking about it. is it serious? does it happen to anyone else? we have 3 children. i am not due a period i had one week b4 last.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are several conditions that sometimes manifest with bleeding after sex. It could be a polyp or fibroid tumor, infection of the vagina or cervix, or even just rough sex, perhaps without enough lubrication, especially if you have some vaginal dryness. If this continues you should have it checked out. I hope you are having annual pelvic exams for ongoing health maintenance.

Best wishes.
 ANXIOUSMOM - Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:23 pm

what is a pevic exam? not sure they do that in uk.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:34 pm

User avatar A pelvic exam is a gynecological exam where a speculum is used to allow the doctor to view the cervix and vagina. During this exam a pap smear is performed. You would have had such exams when you were pregnant and they should continue annually to rule out forms of cancer and other abnormalities.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us