Forum Name: Fertility

Question: PCOS and testosterone

ufgatorgrl - Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Here is my short background:
I recently had bloodwork done for my OB-GYN. I stopped taking birth control in 05/2008 and I have had severely irregular periods throughout my life. My OBGYN finally gave me Provera after 75 days without a period. The bloodwork came back with testosterone levels of Total Testosterone 114 H and Freee Testosterone 16.5 H. He said this 3x the amount it should be. I was given another prescription for Provera 10mg to induce menstruation (today is now day 31 and he does not want it to go so long again), and a prescription for Clomid 50mg. My glucose is fine and I have never had a problem with diabetes. I am overweight but I eat healthfully. I have a history of cancer.

My questions are:
What will happen having that much testosterone in my system long-term?
What is the long-term treatment for PCOS?
I have heard of Clomid before but are there other avenues for treatment?
Are there any other tests I should investigate?

Thanks, I would really appreciate a second opinion. I am new to this arena of health.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:05 am

I assume you are trying to conceive; thus the clomid. PCOS does interfere with ovulation so this can help women who desire pregnancy. There are other medications that sometimes help such as glucophage and Metformin since insulin resistance is one of the problems with PCOS. When you are not trying to conceive you can be treated with anti-androgens and birth control pills for hormonal regulation.

I would not expect long-term complications from excessive testosterone. Usually the symptoms are temporary and reversible once the hormone levels stabilize. Unwanted hair, irregular menstrual bleeding and acne are the most common effects. Depression and diabetes can also be present so it is important to get treatment. A very low testosterone level has been implicated in low sex drive.

This is definitely a manageable condition but it is chronic - meaning you may be dealing with it over the long term. Losing excess weight and good nutrition, while avoiding bad habits like smoking will help.