Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Delayed/Confusing Puberty

 Ambiguous_E - Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi, I'm a 17 year old male, and I am confused about my stage of puberty. My penis has grown very little if at all in width/length, I have no facial or armpit hair, yet I have grown over a foot in about a year, my voice has deepened significantly, I have coarse, thick pubic hair, and I can produce semen. I have been masturbating to orgasm for longer than I can remember (probably since I was about 9, by my guess). I was wondering if there's anything I can do that's been delaying it, or anything I can do to speed up my penile growth, as I am interested in women, but I cannot act upon my feelings besides masturbation, which I have been doing a lot.

 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
I suspect this is just a case of time. Average ages are calculated based on some who mature earlier; some later. But, it would not hurt to have a complete physical exam with a doctor - in fact it is recommended in adolescence. Your pediatrician is still an excellent resource at your age because he or she is knowledgeable about human growth and developmental stages. The doctor will evaluate and perhaps check hormone levels to see if there is anything amiss. If it's just patience you need, at least you will know you have checked it out to be sure.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us