Forum Name: Fertility

Question: sex on the pill with no condom; when is the best time

lando - Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:03 pm

I am on a birth control called ortho tryceclin lo and my bf and I have had unprotected sex a few times. I usually am really good at taking my pill around the same time every night. Are there certain times during the month that are "more safer" to have unprotected sex then other? we are both young and in a new relationship so we are not ready for kids yet.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:11 am

Taking the pill religiously is a very effective method of birth control but of course there is still some rate of error - maybe one in a hundred. Ovulation is suppressed when on the pill so you can't really predict the time you might happen to ovulate, which of course is the time you would be most likely to become pregnant. If you did ovulate on the pill, chances are it is not on a predictable cycle anyway since it would be a random event in and of itself.

If you missed the pill, again your cycles would not be predictable based on that event. It's wise to use backup protection if you miss one or two until your next period.

I know this is not exactly what you were hoping to learn but it really would not be possible to predict when you might happen to ovulate while on the pill. Your best protection is to take the pill every day around the same time and follow directions for missed pills with backup protection. If you want to reduce even the 1% failure rate, you would use a condom every time in addition to the pill.

lando - Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:58 am

thank you!! one more question. my bf doesnt "go" inside me, we usually pull out before that happens. I know that there is pre-cum, but I figured by being on the pill that wouldnt be a problem? what do you think
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:52 pm

User avatar Absolutely. The pill is designed to prevent conception and pregnancy even when you have regular sex and he ejaculates inside you. There are only rare exceptions to this working quite well when used as directed. You should definitely not worry about things as you describe here.

Good luck to you.