Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: how long after giving birth can you get pregnant?

chuchoelroto - Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:57 pm

My girlfriend and I had sex 3 weeks after she gave birth. Since then we have had unprotected sex 2 times a week for 3 weeks and I ejaculated in her vagina what are the posibilities she is pregnant again? Because she said that she couldn't get pregnant until started to obvilate a month after she stop bleeding. But I'm worried she might be pregnant. How soon after giving birth can she obvilate or get pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:22 pm

User avatar Hello,
If she is breastfeeding exclusively the odds are considerably decreased for pregnancy to occur. If she is not breastfeeding it is possible she could begin ovulating any time after giving birth - likely within two or three weeks at the soonest. She can ovulate before having a normal period. It is the unused uterine lining that is shed when an egg is not fertilized during a woman's cycle near the time of ovulation. So, ovulation has already occurred without fertilization/conception, when she has a period.

It is wise to use protection from the outset.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us