Forum Name: Fertility

Question: could my headaches mean that i am pregnant

dauera - Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:50 pm

i have been suffering severe headaches for the past 3 or 4 weeks. that was the first sign that i was pregnant with my first child. but every time that i tested with the first one it was negative. my ob told me that it was because i didn't have enough of the pregnancy hormone to detect the pregnancy. it took a blood test and the doctors test to detect it. i have taken several tests this time when i feel as though i might be pregnant and like with the first they are negative. i can't seem to find the time to drive 45 miles to go to the nearest ob to get checked out and i am kind of scared that if i am pregnant that the same thing is happening or going to happen when i go to deliver. when i was having my son, after they gave me the spinal we flat lined and were pronounced clinically dead. after they got our heart beats back and got me talking they preped me for an emerancy c-section. the doctor said that i suffered from a rare 1 in 1000 type of deliveray, and that i was very lucky to be here today. what do you think? what should i do? and most importantly could i be experiencing the same type of pregnancy?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:57 pm

Hello Dauera,

It is important to create time to see a doctor, first for a blood pregnancy test (if urine tests were negative) and secondly to ascertain the cause of your severe headaches. Severe, persistent headache is not a usual sign of pregnancy and it may be a more important complaint than your desire to know if you are pregnant.

Stress/tension headache is the usual cause of bilateral, non-pulsatile headache. Hypertension may also present as headache. Some headaches, such as migraine and cluster headaches, are disabling and treatable while others are sinister and are the types that must be recognised.

Consultation with a doctor will be most rewarding. I advise you to see one as soon as possible. Thank you for contacting our website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine