Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: pregnancy and over weight

kayholder18 - Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:19 pm

i am 20 years old and i weigh 271lbs. i used to be on meth. back last year in february when i was using me an my husband concieved a baby and i lost it at 2 months and i have been trying every since then. me and him were away for 5 months and we have been trying for the past month. what can we do to increase the chances of having a baby????
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:33 am

User avatar Hello,
There is no question that being obese can make conception more difficult so losing some excess weight would make sense. If you are still using drugs, get off them now! No good can come of recreational drug use when trying to conceive or when pregnant or breastfeeding. It would also make sense to schedule a pre-conception visit with your doctor to have a general check up to see if there are any other areas of your body that needs attention prior to pregnancy. By reducing risk factors now you can help insure a healthy baby later. Also, take a multivitamin daily which contains at least 400 mcg folate, eat a healthy diet, and stop any other bad health habits such as smoking and alcohol.

Once you are trying to conceive you could monitor your periods and if you have a regular cycle, you can usually plan on being fertile somewhere between day 8 and day 19 of your cycle. Those would be the days to plan on having sexual intercourse at least every other day. Then let nature take its course. It is considered normal for it to take up to a year for pregnancy to occur. After that time, you may need to see a doctor to be sure there are no problems.

Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us