Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Slight pan and swelling above left testicle

 691233 - Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:41 pm

I am 20 and for the past three days have been experiencing a slight nagging pain - more like a feeling of discomfort - just above my left testicle. Upon having a feel around to see if I could discern any difference between the left and right side of the contents of my scrotum, I found that the sort of.. sinuous "connections" (I don't know what they are) seem to be more pronnounced on the left hand side (where the pain is) however, there doesn't seem to be any sensation in it. I can squeeze the swelling and not feel any pain in it. Sometimes the pain feels like it resides more in the flesh just above the testicle. where the scrotum meets the rest of the body. The left testicle also seems to be hanging slightly higher that usual - it has always been ever so slightly higher than the right, but it's much more pronnounced now. I have been turning over the idea of going to see a GP, but the thought of someone poking and peering around down there purely because I am a hypochondriac is offputting. Obviously if someone suggests it needs urgent attention I'll put my issues aside and bite the bullet but... No sure how to end this sentence. Please could I have some advice? Thanks very much.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:06 pm

User avatar Hello -

What you describe could be epididymitis, testicular torsion or even an inguinal hernia. The hernia is less likely than the other two, and the former two, normally, would be more painful, but they are serious enough -- all three -- that they should be ruled out. You're not being hypochondriacal because of your concern over this: the area is somewhat vulnerable to odd problems (torsion is a really odd one, but happens fairly often and is easy to correct); epididymitis is usually easily treated as well, and inguinal hernias are fairly simple to repair. It may be none of these, but it's perfectly reasonable to want to take care of the equipment, and failure to do so can have unpleasant results. Because of the relatively low pain level you may be able to wait a few days before having this looked at, and if it resolves on its own, great. But if it doesn't in a few days, I'd strongly suggest having it checked. If it's nothing, remember that's a good thing, and if it's not nothing, it''ll be a good thing you found out.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us