Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Lump Right On Urethra

 Peewee - Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 am

I occasionaly get a sore uretha if my pants rub to hard when doing everyday things but usually it goes away. Yesterday i noticed slight pain but it hasn't gone away. It is incredibly painful. Its noticeable from the outside as just slightly raised, but when touched it is a hard lump under the skin just smaller than a pea. It is painful, just sitting down it hurts. Theres no discharge. Please help.
 Peewee - Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:22 am

Since my initial post. Iv had a small amount blood/puss come out the opening. The Lump Went down after a few days. It now has returned. (2 weeks later)

Please someone help
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:20 pm

User avatar Hello,

This is more likely to Bartholin's glands problem like cyst which became infected forming an abscess.

There are two Bartholin’s glands at the inside of the vulva near the entrance to the vagina posteriorly. They secret mucus-like fluid.
When their ducts are blocked they form cystic swelling filled with fluids. Bartholin’s duct cysts are usually unilateral and non tender, and palpable which may cause minor discomfort during intercourse.

If they became infected they form small abscess (this is more likely to be the cause).
Both conditions are mild and antibiotics may be needed for infection treatment.
When infection is not properly controled the condition can recur.

Other causes to be excluded are dermatitis due to friction or infections like Candida. In sexually active individuals, STDs should be excluded too.

Direct clinical examination is essential. So I would advise you to follow up with your doctor.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us