Forum Name: Fertility

Question: My doctors can not find my uterus?

blanders - Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:35 pm

I am 24 years old and when I was 16 my doctor said I didnt have a uterus because I've never had a period and that I only had one ovary. I have been married for 3 years and last year we tried in vitro fertilization with a surrogate. They also said I only had one ovary but the day before I went in for my surgery they did an ultrasound and my other ovary was there, what are the chances that I have a uterus? I have had many ultrasounds and MRIs and not once had my left ovary shown up until that day, I had one doctor tell me she thought I had a uterus. What are the chances and how can I get someone to keep looking?

Thank You!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:18 pm

I would think that an MRI or scan would be the best diagnostic tools. Your fertility specialist should be able to follow up to be sure the uterus is truly congenitally absent. While an ovary could "hide" rather easily on ultrasound exam, a uterus is much larger and less likely to be missed I would think. Of course you want to be sure but I am doubtful it is there after the examinations you have already undergone in egg harvesting.

Good luck in your efforts.