Question: Whole body numbness during oral sex

siris972 - Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:22 pm

Twice now while receiving oral sex, my entire body has gone numb before I am able to ejaculate. I do not ejaculate and am unsure as to whether or not this numbness counts as orgasm or I just feel really good because I'm light-headed. Regular blood flow returns after about 10 minutes, but I just fear that there might be some sort of underlying problem. The ratio of numbing blowjobs to regular ones is about 1 to 5. I just really want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with me or even the way my girlfriend performs oral sex.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:42 pm

The only reason I can think of that one might experience overall numbness and lightheadedness during any sort of sex, and especially during oral sex this might be so, would be an increase in overall bodily tension causing such a posture (possibly along with holding of the breath) might cause the subject to unwittingly perform what is known as a Valsalva maneuver. The way one might normally do this (intentionally) would be by stretching and holding one's breath, or by straining while trying to lift something heavy (again, with unwitting holding of breath, which often happens). This slows the heart rate, causes blood pressure to drop, with subsequent lightheadedness and sometimes a spreading numbness or weakness spreading from the shoulders on downward.

This explanation is a stretch, but something clearly is happening during these episodes, and it would be well to learn just what's causing it. Since there is some sense of pleasure derived from the lightheadedness (not unlike what is described during autoerotic asphyxia), the experience may not seem too unpleasant, but you're wise to look for an answer. If you find yourself arching or holding your breath during these episodes, this may be the cause. It could be difficult to avoid this happening, and it may actually be a benign thing, so long as there is nothing else physiologically wrong. It could be an idiosyncratic response to extreme sexual pleasure. However, it would be helpful to know if there is any sort of involuntary or unwitting arching, stretching, or breath-holding, which would explain the response you describe. Otherwise it may be helpful to have a cardiological checkup.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck. Please follow up with us as needed.