Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Chances of pregnancy while on the Depo shot...

Sehrafina - Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:33 pm

I am a young woman who became sexually active roughly 6 months ago. We used condoms for protection and every time we forgot I'd go get the morning after pill. Finally I got the Depo shot. Recently it was wearing off and I had been bleeding for about a week and a half. We had sex, without protection while I was bleeding. That was three weeks ago then I got the shot again a week after the sexual intercourse had occurred. Now I've been getting very nauseous for a few days and my breasts are tender. I've been getting lots of sleep but am still tired. I'm wondering if it's possible that I might be pregnant. I want to take a test but I feel it's too early. I wouldn't be able to get a period until two months from now so I'm not for certain that I'm pregnant. I have been spotting, not sure if that's normal. Should I still take a test this early, or wait another week or so?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:58 am

User avatar Hello,
Hormones such as depo provera can result in symptoms you describe (as can pregnancy). I am doubtful it is pregnancy based on the timing and your use of birth control techniques. I would wait about two weeks from the time you think conception might have occurred (if you know when you had sex for instance) if you want to take a test.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us