Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Day 2 of my cycle, showing a ferning pattern on saliva monit

hoping for the best - Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:49 am

I am 27 years old had one successful healthy pregnancy in 1996. I have not been pregnant since and also have not used birth control since 2005 and then it was only for 6 months on 6 months off and so on for 2 years.
I am on my second marriage of 1 1/2 years and have not used birth control at all. We are trying to conceive but only trying for 2 months. In October I started my first cycle of clomifeno (spanish for clomid I live in the DR) 50mg for 5 days. However b/c my period came yesterday Nov 16. Went back to the doctor she prescribed another cycle same dosage. I am using the saliva ovulation predictor (ovulite). I used it the entire month of October with no Ferning results. Test every morning when my feet hit the floor before brushing eating or anything. The entire month of October NOTHING with the saliva test. I did have ovulation pain on 17th day of my cycle but no ferning. I continued the use of the saliva test and no ferning, but today the 2nd day of my period (cycle) I used the test and it is POSITIVE FERNING everywhere. I do not think it is possible to ovulate during menastration but this is the only positive ferning results I have ever received.
Is this normal to have a peak in estrogen during a period or am I possibly not having a normal cycle or am I actualy ovulating? I am so confused please help!

Thank You
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:19 pm

It is possible to ovulate during menstruation, though it is rare. I am not familiar enough with the saliva testing to interpret the results here. If I were you I would just have regular sexual intercourse, in case you are ovulating. There's nothing to lose by trying. Continue to do this throughout your cycle at least every other day since you are desiring pregnancy. Frequency has a lot to do with improving your chances.

hoping for the best - Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Thank you so much for your response. I live in another country and it is very helpful for me to understand some things in English and translate that to spanish in order to ask the correct questions at my doctors office here. I think it is wonderful that you take your own time to answer all of these post and it is greatly appreciated.

The saliva ovulation predictor says: 3-4 days before a women ovulates estrogen levels begin to go up and will show a slight ferning pattern. 2 days before up to the day of ovulation estrogen levels peak that cause a full ferning pattern.
The ferning pattern occurs because when estrogen levels peak the amount of salinity in a women is also higher which causes the saliva to form fern like patterns, such as frost on a window pane, that can be seen when magnified 40 to 60X.

The only day I received the ferning pattern was the 2nd day of my period. Is it possible to have a surge in estrogen during my period? If I am ovulating during my period would that be every month or is this just an instance where I happened to ovulate during my period? If it is every month how can you conceive during your period when the lining of the uteras will not have enough time to thicken properly for implantation? Is there a way to control ovulation with medication, if I am ovulating during my period can they give something to stop it and start it so that I can ovulate during another time of my cycle, when when the doctors feel there is a need of course? I plan to ask my doctor all of these questions on the next visit, however being a native from the States and living in another country I like to ask for that second opinion on a matter.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:49 pm

Ovulating during your period is quite unusual so it is not likely to happen this way each month; I would suspect it will only be a single event or maybe occasional. Sometimes a course of oral contraceptives is used to help regulate a woman's cycle but you really cannot force ovulation except with ovulation stimulation medication such as Clomid. This should only be used with a doctor's advice and only as directed.

Since there are women who conceive while on their periods, apparently there can be enough estrogen to make it work. This is not typical, but possible.