Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Can ephedrine use cause infertitlity?

courage - Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:19 pm

I was told by an aquaintance that ephedrine use can lead to infertility. Is there any truth to this statement?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:28 am

User avatar Dear Courage,

It is not known whether or not ephedrine can cause infertility or not as studies were never conducted on animals to test this potential side effect.

This side effect is also not mentioned among all the various side effects that ephedrine can cause.

If you are using ephedrine or any ephedra to lose weight as it appears from your other posts, the fda has put a ban on the use of ephedra containing products used for weight loss earlier this year.

Please refer to this link for the fda position on ephedra containing products.

If you are so worried about this side effect, don't use ephedrine.

About losing weight, your numbers show that you are already underweight, and if you want to go down to 95 pounds, you are going to be extremely underweight. Do you need to lose weight to be able to compete in an athletic event? What is it that you want to achieve besides just losing weight as a goal?

To see what is your ideal body weight please use our online calculator.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 courage - Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:14 pm

I am losing weight because I am anorexic. There are no other reasons. I know about the FDA ban, but I also know how to still get ephedrine. As long as infertility is not a side effect, I am not too worried.

Thanks.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us