Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Low Testerone Levels

marshall1979 - Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:51 pm

I had issues that i brought up with my doctor a year age i.e. not sexually interested, tired all the time lack of self confidence. All of these thing were not me. my doctor had me give blood work a couple of times and my testosterone levels were low. the lab results say
testosterone total 197 Norm 300-1000
Prolactin 4.7 Norm 0-20
I started off taken Testim 1% but my wife was pregnant and out of the fear of her getting medicine on her or my new born son i started taking Androderm 5 mg/day patch.
I went back to the doctor because i was feeling depressed and had recently had weird emotional outburst at work that were over nothing. A good friend at work told me i should go see my doctor because i have been acting differently lately.
I gave blood again and my levels are
testosterone total 208 Norm 300-1000
Prolactin 4.2 Norm 0-20
The way i have been feeling lately is really poor i have been tired all of the time my body aces and i get irritated easily when i normally wouldn't and i feel lost and confused at a job i have been working 5 years.
I am wondering what should i expect from my doctor now.
He at first told me that this is the second time he has seen levels this low in someone of my age.
I am also wondering if we are the only two people out there.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 am

User avatar Hello,First you must get your FAT FreeAvailable Testosterone levels to make sure that you have indeed a testosterone related problem.I think you are too young to develop andropause.Do consult again and also to rule out depression which can be controlled with medication.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us