Forum Name: Fertility

Question: BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA TO TESTICLES, SIZE OF APPLES

sbford80 - Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:44 pm

My husbands ex hit him in the testicles in 2003. The left one swelled up severely. He went to a urologist that said he had a large hematoma. He took pain meds and it reaborbed into his body and he was fine, other than the occasional pain.
He has not been back to see anyone. Now, we are trying to concieve and cannot. I know that I am fine. Could he be sterile now because of this? They had a child together a year before this occured.
 Dan Abshear - Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Not sure if you got this last message regarding your question about your husband, and the genital trauma he experienced. I'd suggest he get an ultrasound on that area to make sure no permanent damage has been done to his vas deferens, which are the tubes that connect to his testicles. If they are damaged, they need to be repaired, likely, in order to conceive.

Hope it goes OK,

Dan
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:43 pm

User avatar Hi there -

This type of injury can sometimes, rarely, cause sterility, but more often causes a lowered sperm count. Even this usually is self-correcting over time, assuming there is not specific damage to the apparatus. I've seen the result of blunt force trauma to the testicles, and it can be quite alarming, but it's usually due to hematoma such as your husband suffered, it almost always is resorbed, and rarely is there a serious long-term fertility problem as a result.

There are a great many things that can affect the ability to conceive and that can affect sperm production. Some things you may want to consider (a checklist) would be: exposure to toxins (as in the workplace or via certain medications); tobacco use (which can be a significant factor in reducing the number of healthy sperm as well as the overall count); alcohol (more than two drinks per day); marijuana use (which can affect sperm motility); heat of any sort, locally (bicycle riding, hot tubbing, fever due to recent illness, etc.); use of anabolic steroids; and finally, even sometimes use of lubricants (although vegetable-based ones usually are ok).

So you see there are lots of potential blockades to successful conception. While I don't think the old injury should be totally discounted, especially if the difficulty continues, it seems fairly unlikely it's the source of the problem. If, after a year of trying, there's been no success, you both might want to be checked for possible physiological problems. But first, your husband should run down the above checklist to make sure he's eliminated all the possible roadblocks on his side of things.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to both of you, and please follow up with us here as necessary.
 Dr. E Asis - Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:07 pm

User avatar Usually blunt trauma to the testicle will not cause sterility and hematoma will resolve spontaneously without causing infertility. Just to be sure, your husband can undergo sperm analysis. If it turns out normal, that's the time you have to undergo fertility work up too.
 Dr Paul Turek - Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:37 pm

Re: Blunt injury to testis, hematoma and 1 year of infertility.
I agree with most other posts who have responded to this question. a blunt injury to the testis, experienced by many men to different degrees, is quite common and very memorable but does not usually affect fertility, especially if no chronic symptoms occur (i.e. pain).

I agree that an evaluation at this point should include a thorough history (as outlined in one response) and a physical examination and one or 2 semen analyses for the infertility. Women should also consider a cycle day 3 FSH level (with estradiol) and a thorough history and physical with a careful review of menstrual cycle history.
 sbford80 - Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks so much, we saw a urologist yesterday and he has an ultrasound scheduled. The urologist said he did not feel anything, but wanted to images just to be sure. Hopefully all is well.