Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Hot Baths and Sperm Count

delrayguy - Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:08 pm

From WebMD regarding sperm, "wearing tight-fitting clothing can negatively affect sperm count, so too can spending time in hot tub or Jacuzzi".

My question is...does taking a hot bath every evening (which I do) fall into this category?

My wife and I are thinking of trying to have a child, and I don't want to do anything to put this in jeapordy.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 pm

The reason hot tubs are a concern is because the heater keeps the temperature at a high level over a sustained period of time and your total body is submerged, which raises your core body temperature. They do believe length of time for extremely warm temperatures can affect the sperm. The testicles are outside the body to maintain a cooler temperature. Normal bathing is not a concern, but if you have trouble conceiving and want to switch to showering just in case, there certainly would be no harm. But know this, most men who bathe in a bathtub do not as a whole have fertility issues. No more than in the average population.

Keep in mind that even in the best of circumstances it can take up to a year for pregnancy to occur in normal, healthy, fertile young couples so be patient.

delrayguy - Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Nurse Miller,

Thank you for that very informed and well thought out response. Of course we understand that it could take X amount of time to conceive, and are prepared for that. I just didnt want to make it any more difficult than neccessary. I think, just for the sake of it, when we decide to begin to try, I'll switch to showers to be on the absolute safe side, afterall, it cant hurt to be cleaner!

Thanks again!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:48 pm

User avatar You are welcome.

Good luck!