Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Odd shaped sperm

jos2lan - Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:09 am

I have been having a difficult time getting pregnant for the 4th time with no problems before. I had an HSG done and that was clear. My husband had a sperm count done and that was normal but has to see a urologist because they said his sperm was odd shaped. The questions I have are: If the sperm does pentrate the egg, and is odd shaped, will that cause the baby to be disformed? Will it cause down syndrome? or mentally retardation? Is there treatment for odd shaped sperm? I hope you can answer this or even give me a website to visit. Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
No, this is not associated with those conditions. Genetic problems such as Down Syndrome has not been linked to sperm morphology (shape and size). But, different shaped sperm can contribute to fertility problems and can be temporary (caused by fever, infection, drug use) so most experts suggest repeating the test in 4 - 6 weeks to see if it is permanent or was just present at the time of the testing.

I would suggest this site for information about sperm. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fertility/MC00023

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us