Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Odd shaped sperm

jos2lan - Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:09 am

I have been having a difficult time getting pregnant for the 4th time with no problems before. I had an HSG done and that was clear. My husband had a sperm count done and that was normal but has to see a urologist because they said his sperm was odd shaped. The questions I have are: If the sperm does pentrate the egg, and is odd shaped, will that cause the baby to be disformed? Will it cause down syndrome? or mentally retardation? Is there treatment for odd shaped sperm? I hope you can answer this or even give me a website to visit. Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 pm

No, this is not associated with those conditions. Genetic problems such as Down Syndrome has not been linked to sperm morphology (shape and size). But, different shaped sperm can contribute to fertility problems and can be temporary (caused by fever, infection, drug use) so most experts suggest repeating the test in 4 - 6 weeks to see if it is permanent or was just present at the time of the testing.

I would suggest this site for information about sperm. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fertility/MC00023