Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Will I have a miscarraige without a certain shot

dmj5220 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 pm

I had recently had a miscarriage and I was told because of the two different blood types between me and my partner that I would have to get some sort of shot before I tried to get pregnant again. I was wondering if I'm already pregnant is it to late to get that shot?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:13 am

I cannot advise you with this limited information about what type of injection you were advised to have. If it was RhoGam (if you were rh negative) this needed to be given shortly after birth, not just before the next pregnancy. If you have this condition and your partner is rh positive blood type, there is some risk to your next pregnancy if you did not receive the RhoGam - not necessarily miscarriage. If your partner is negative also, there is no reason the RhoGam is needed (assuming you are faithful and monogamous) bu it is always recommended.

It is also possible you did not become sensitized anyway and missing the RhoGam injection did not put you at greater risk. It is given routinely to protect just in case your baby were positive and you had some cross contamination from the bleeding. It does not happen every time but when it does, future pregnancies could be affected - again, not necessarily because it would depend on many factors all coming into play.

If this is not your condition, I would need more information about the condition of concern.