Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: heavy bleeding after sex

sr2337 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 pm

My bf and i had very rough sex the other day and a few hours later when i went to the bathroon to pee i started bleeding as if i where on my period, this is the 2nd time this has happend both times the sex was very rough. I've been on the pill for a few months now and i know we both do not have any std's. I would like to know if this is normal and could it be because he is pushing to deep and hard during intercourse or is it somthing more serious? Please Help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Rough sex can result in trauma and vaginal tears. Most likely this is the case since in both instances you had experienced the rough sex. In addition, the hormones could cause breakthrough bleeding and if it doesn't stop within a few cycles you should get it checked out. Other causes are infections, cysts. cervical polyps, tumors, and endometriosis. It is important to rule out these conditions when you have breakthrough bleeding.

sr2337 - Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:38 am

i've also hurd that this could posible cause cervical cancer is that true at all?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:38 am

User avatar Do you mean the rough sex could cause the cancer? That is not likely. And cellular changes on the cervix do not typically come with bleeding as a first clue. This is why we have Pap screenings to detect these changes when they occur before there are any symptoms and most people are detected this way; not because of bleeding. I have not seen any statistics saying those who have rough sex are at greater risk. There is an increased risk if you have multiple sex partners and some other infections such as HPV (which is what we screen for with a pap) or other STDs. So, lifestyle can play a role and you should be careful about the decisions you make in your sex life.

Best regards
Debbie