Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Can I be pregnant from fooling around in the hot tub?

anonymous :) - Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:32 am

A few weeks back, my boyfriend and I were in my hot tub. I kept my swimsuit on, but he had his off. While we were making out, I got on top of him and was straddling him, therefore his penis was very close to being inside of me, except I had my bottoms on. He began to thrust as if we were having sex, dry humping I guess. There is a possibility he ejaculated, but like I said, I had my swimsuit on.
Is there any possibility whatsoever that I might be pregnant. After he left that night I started freaking out because I started thinking it was possible, but I know sperm can not survive in hot tub temperatures...but I didn't know if because he was so close to being completely inside of me, could it be possible that I am pregnant?

Please help..Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 am

The chances of pregnancy under the conditions you describe are practically zero. In order for sperm to travel to the cervix and beyond, the ejaculated semen needs to be placed inside the vagina. This is not likely to occur with clothing between the two of you.

Best regards
 anonymous :) - Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:20 am

Thank you for your response. I have just been worried because I am usually regular, but I am almost a week late, but that has happened here and there. I didn't think there was any chance because there was no skin to skin contact, but had my swimsuit not been on, he would have been completely inside of me. He basically was, but the swimsuit was too. That's why it worried me. But that is just me overthinking everything.

Thank you again!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:06 pm

User avatar You are welcome and a pregnancy test might ease your mind. You did not actually indicated that he fully penetrated so perhaps I did not have the complete details. If that was the case, especially if he ejaculated inside, there could be a chance of pregnancy because a swimsuit would be a limited barrier (since they can be quite skimpy) if it was merely inside along with his penis. This is different than what I assumed you meant by "dry humping" as if you were having sex.

So, it really depends on the degree of exposure of sperm to vagina. Just being in the hot tub would not kill the sperm if it is deposited inside of you.

Let us know.