Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Male Sexual Disorders

Question: Circumcision

Gravity - Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Could not being circumcised cause a problem with me while i am deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan? Also, After Sex, it is very sensitive and most time it hurts right where the forskin is attatched to the head. I have to wait days before i can perform again. Pros and Cons of considering getting circumcised?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:14 pm

User avatar Hello,
Adult circumcision is rarely performed unless there is a specific need or belief about it. There is some suggestion that transmission of some STDs may be reduced in a circumcised male but the problems you are experiencing are not likely to be related to being intact. I would consult with a doctor to rule out phimosis, if your foreskin cannot be retracted behind the glans. There may be some other problem so having this evaluated before deployment would be wise.

On the con side, some men claim they have increased sensitivity when intact but this is not a scientific-based fact. There is also risk associated with the surgery, especially in an adult. Bleeding, errors, anesthesia risks, blood clots and other standard surgical risks. Most people do fine.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us