Question: Possible Klinefelter's?

BigJoey500 - Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm a 20 year old male and recently learned about Klinefelter's syndrome. While reading the list of symptoms, I was shocked at how many applied to me. Here they are:
I am quite a late bloomer. My voice didn't drop until my junior year of high school, which is when I assume I hit puberty. I was always skinny and short growing up, but became a little bit plump at fifteen and acquired some chest fat. Then my junior year I shot up to 6'1. I was surprised (and delighted) because I was always one of the shorter kids in my year, and my dad is only 5'10 (my mom's 5'6). I think I have a longer legs, though I've never really confirmed that.
Today, I still have a very youthful face, do not have much facial hair (though I think it's starting to come in), and still have some chest fat, which I've had for about four years. My voice is pretty deep (I'm a bass singer) I believe my penis is about average length (about 6 inches). I have one (abnormal) testicle that is small and round, but the other is normal. A doctor did notice this, but said that there should be no problems. I have normal pubic hair, little on my chest, and some arm pit. I have no mental incapacity or learning disability, and was always a quick learner. In fact, I have an IQ close to 160 and now attend an Ivy league school, not to boast. I am, however, pretty shy and lack confidence, am also awkward physically and not very athletic. I don't think I have any psychological issues though. If I could get any feedback on whether I should get a diagnosis, that would be great.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Isn't it interesting how you can learn about a condition, read symptoms and notice they seem apply to you? When I attended nursing school, it seemed every condition we studied applied to me or someone in my family! I would be sure I had it nailed only to go back to class the following week to find the symptoms also applied to a new disease.

This is because so many of the same symptoms occur in normal individuals as well as in many different disorders. The symptoms are one clue to the diagnosis, but you have described nothing here that could not also occur in chromosome normal men. The fact that you have above average intelligence and have not had other worrisome symptoms leads me to think there's a good chance this is not your problem. Latent puberty is within the normal developmental milestones.

In Klinefelter's or XXY Syndrome a man has at least two X chromosomes and at least one Y chromosome. It is the most common sex chromosome disorder, affecting one in 500 live male births.

Often young men with Klinefelter's notice that testical development was not normal; others learn of it only after they have fertility issues when trying to father a child. If you are concerned, having a chromosome test might ease your mind but is not actually necessary since treatment mostly consists of help dealing with the psychological issues including social anxiety or depression. If you do not have these issues and are not worried about your fertility at this point you may choose to delay any testing. Men with this syndrome who desire an enhanced masculine appearance may benefit from testosterone therapy. So, if a firm diagnosis will help you, go for it. Hopefully you will maintain a healthy self-esteem regardless of the outcome. This is just one more variation in the human race that make us all unique.

BigJoey500 - Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.

I guess I'm not that worried about fertility at this point, though I'm sure I will be down the line. What I'm most concerned about is the gynecomastia that I've had for close to five years that won't seem to go away, even after I grew six inches or so. Even after becoming more physically fit, I still have noticeable chest fat and stomach fat. I was extremely skinny my entire life before 15, and both of my parents are svelte as well. I keep expecting that at some point I will just wake up and have returned to normal, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

Perhaps this has something to do with the one testicle that I have that is small and circular. Because my other testicle is perfectly fine, maybe this means that I'm a half-Klinefelter's case or something, though I'm sure this probably doesn't exist. Maybe I have an extra half X chromosome, which is why I have a regular testicle and also a smaller one. Does this mean I'm experiencing diminished effects of Klinefelter's? Hopefully, I won't be completely infertile if this is the case...

Whatever the case, I'm really wondering if you think my gynecomastia will ever go away on its own, even after five years. Or will I have to resort to cosmetic surgery to finally get rid of it?

I realize this is a bit of a loaded reply, but appreciate your answers.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:42 pm

It seems like it would be worthwhile to have an examination to see if you have some hormonal imbalance, possibly treatable. In some cases, cosmetic surgery is needed but you should have a complete exam before worrying too much about that.