Forum Name: Fertility

Question: will my doctor prescribe clomid to help concevie twins

nicole06 - Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Will my docoter or can my doctor perscribe me clomid to help me concive twins I've tryed not medical advice and was unsuccessful but was blessed with a be
atuiful daughter but me anfd my partner really do want twins I've herd that clomid can help produce twin when taken by a fertile women. Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:44 pm

User avatar Hello
A doctor worth his or her license would not do this. Twins come with many more risks and clomid not only results in twins but sometimes many more (triplets and beyond) which come with increased risk of miscarriage, serious preterm birth and the complications and cost associated with it. When multiples survive, they also have an increased incidence of long-term problems.

Of course it happens spontaneously at times and you do what you can for the best outcome but it would actually be irresponsible to TRY to conceive twins when you might naturally conceive singletons with a much more likely healthy outcome.

Good luck
 nicole06 - Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:56 pm

thank you for your reply, is there any other way of conceving or increasing the chance of conceiving twins or is it all down to pot luck (so to speak) many thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:24 pm

User avatar Mostly luck, random, mixed-blessing, but there is a genetic tendency too so if there are twins on your family tree, that increases your odds and later childbearing moms have them more frequently as well.

Of course, clomid helps many women conceive who do not ovulate otherwise so it is a good thing but should be used cautiously when a more natural conception has failed, recognizing the risks of multiples. Even on clomid, most women only bear one child at a time. This is the safest way so that's a good thing.