Medical Specialty >> Reproductive Medicine

Doctors Lounge - Reproductive Medicine Answers

Back to Reproductive Medicine Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/16/2017.

Forum Name: Fertility

Question: When is earliest can check if pregnant if period irregular?

saturdaygirl - Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:15 am

Hi Im 23 and stopped taking the pill about 5 months ago. Since then I have only had my period once. I had sex with my boyfriend last week and the condom broke. Im really worried that I could be pregnant and I don't know when I can check to see if I am. I might not get my period again for another couple of months! can I do a pregnancy test now? or do i have to wait? Please help i don't want to be pregnant!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:29 pm

User avatar Hello,
They say pregnancy tests can be reliable as soon as 10 days after conception so a couple of weeks after you had sex might be worth trying. In some cases you get a false negative, if it is too early and hcg levels aren't high enough so if you still worry after one negative and get no period or have other symptoms, repeat the test in one week.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us